I killed my baby’s Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Amber681, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Amber681

Amber681 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    This is my first time hatching turkeys. Everything was going great . I candled them on the 14th day and I could see there was a baby in there moving and you could see blood veins. On day on day 25 I took them out of there turner and laid them down in the incubator. I noticed I could get the humidity up so I cover all the holes trying to get it higher. How stupid I was . I didn’t even think about it raising the temperature . The next day I notice them thermometer laying inside read 110 my heart sunk I but I got it back down but I think it was to late .My baby’s were due today and nothing. I am learning but I hate learning this way.

2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear that. bummer. sLo_comfort.gif

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Don't kick yourself too hard, we all do things we wish we had not. It is a learning exercise.

I'm surprised blocking the vent would up the temperature that much. The thermostat should have been able to handle that. It should have shut the heat off when it started to get too warm. Is it a homemade incubator? You might want to think about if blocking the vents is actually what caused it to go up like that.

If the temperature was that high for very long it is not good. It takes a while for the inside of the egg to heat up so if it was very quick, maybe. But they don't necessarily hatch on the exact day so give them a couple of extra days before you do anything dramatic like toss the eggs. But yes, I would not hold out a lot of hope. :hugs

4. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    :welcome
    Do not block the vents in order to get the humidity up. The eggs need the oxygen to stay alive. To increase the humidity, you have to increase the surface area of the water. Many increase the surface area by adding sponges to the water. Humidity pads do a much better job than do sponges.

5. Amber681

Amber681 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    That’s I was really stupid I feel so bad I won’t ever do anything like that again.

6. Amber681

Amber681 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    I can’t see any movement and when I put them in water there still . I’m going to wait a couple of days I’m just so sad.

7. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Napavine, WA
    It happens. All incubators are different and errors happen. Sorry you lost your babies. It is still early in the year - you can try again!

8. Amber681

Amber681 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Thanks . I started over I’m going to be more careful this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: