I killed my baby duck :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, May 18, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    [​IMG] Our muscovy duck was out loose today, she had been penned up with her babies after three days of trying to leave with them (going over the hill to the pasture behind our property where one duckling died) I went in expecting dead babies, but they where alive, I scooped them up and put them in a bucket thinking of taking them in. Ended up deciding to just put a light out in the pen they where in. after fighting through my dh mess I went back to the pen and pulled a board to hang the light on, it bumped a piece of brick which fell into the bucket crushing my favorite duckling. [​IMG] What is the chance of that, that it would fall right into the bucket, [​IMG] I am so mad at myself. I sat there holding it and crying, how could I be so careless. I feel so stupid. The other 5 are fine, I might bring them inside later though. bad start to my last day off. [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] So sorry....accidents happen...I have dropped a duckling before...little bugger just slipped right out of my hands.Thank goodness no permanent damage but...you certainly didn't mean to! I am so sorry for your loss...of course it would have to be your favorite [​IMG]

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    [​IMG]. Accidents happen, unfortunately [​IMG] Dont beat yourself up over it. [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry this happened to you. It was an accident don't beat yourself up over it.

5. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    its okay....[​IMG] things happen for a reason......dont beat yourself up for it....think you still have 5 more cute lil' duckies!!!!! [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh boy, I am so sorry that happened, but it was an accident, and you have to forgive yourself! You didn't mean to harm that little duckling. I've had a few accidents myself.....I'll be most everyone has......

[​IMG]

7. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    thanks guys, I just keep thinking about it, seeing that brick chunk falling over and over, it was almost the same size as the bucket, I don't honestly know how it only killed him. When I grabbed it out of the bucket it covered almost every duckling in there. It could of been much worse I know, but I still just keep wishing I had put the bucket on the other side of the pen.... or... something. Hopefully the day gets better from here. Why would she leave the ducklings? she had to fly up 9' to the ceiling of the garage, then push her way out the top of the chicken wire, I can see where she flew out from, but why? they still had a full pan of clean water and a pan half full of meat bird starter. If she ever goes broody again I may just take them from her immediately, we wanted her to raise them herself, she sure was protective of them and seems to want back with them now.... but I don't think she would stay.

8. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:I am soooo sorry bossynbella. I had a bad incident with my lil 16d. khaki duckling last evening when we (me,hubby,gos,and duck) went out for our evening slugfest. DH and I were talkin about the day, letting the gos/duckling fest with the pekins, when I turnde to pick somehting up on the ground behind me (took my eye away from the babies) DH took a step towards me at the same time I turned back and my Khaki ran under his foot as he was setting it down and he stepped on her and I saw the whole thing. Well the wing bone punctured her skin and bled a bit, and she was hurtin awhile, this morning I got up and expected to see her passed away, but NOPE she was standing next to the gos/ waiting to go out for her slug fest and time with the pekins. Well I have her in the baby(bird) pen cause I don't want to have to try and catch her with a hole and a bone exposed behind her left wing. She is eating, drinking and poopin. I just don't know what else to do for her to treat this wound.
    Any suggetions?

Thanks,
    T.

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
  10. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    sorry to hear about your duckling DuckDuckDuckGoose I hope shes okay. I ended up taking my hen with the two ducklings out and putting her and them in with the younger ones. They took to them right away, no arguing and she was calling to them. At this time momma duck decides to come back and stands outside the pen calling her babies who keep trying to run through the wire to get to her. I finally caught her and put her in the chicken tractor in the fenced yard near the house, and sure enough when I went back out all 5 little ducklings where following mama banty hen around. I added one more heat lamp because my banty is no where big enough to keep all them plus her two big ones warm. Her two ducklings are almost the same size as she is now, but they still will hide under her, except their tails stick out cause they are too long. I will try to get some pictures later, I just wish I would of thought of that this morning before the brick incident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by