I killed my baby duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jun 6, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Today I went to check on my call ducklings in the brooder. I have 2 of them. They were both fine. I gave them food and went grocery shopping. I came home to check on them and my 1 week old call duckling was dead. He had his head pushed in the waterer and drowned. I had the waterer in the corner of the brooder and he got his beak in there and couldnt get it out. I feel so horrible. I just killed my duckling.
    I felt sick looking at him. [​IMG]

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm so sorry - accidents happen - it wasn't your fault.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I am so sorry. Ruth is right, accidents happen and it wasn't your fault. I know that doesn't make you feel much better though.

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I am so sorry, life is hard sometimes to be sure! May your heart quicly heal from it's sorrow.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    My friend did something similar to that. He built a water hole for his 3 week old ducklings and forgot to cover it and 3 could not get out. and three died.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Sorry, i've had my share of mistakes with ducklings too. We dug a pond for them and one drowned. Don't worry, the best thing is to learn from it and take care of the other one.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I'm so sorry that happened to your duckling. It sounds like a freak accident, you can never really predict those. [​IMG]

He knows you loved him, though, and I believe his little spirit will be with you forever. [​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

He knows you loved him, though, and I believe his little spirit will be with you forever.

Thank you. That brought tears to my eyes.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by