I killed my rooster...I feel awful

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hoosierhen, Aug 10, 2008.

1. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I kiiled my RIR rooster, Rudy. He tried to attack me 2x this morning. I looked at my hens with their bald little heads and bald backs and decided that it couldn't continued this way.
    He had access to 10 hens, and he had 5 of them very tattered, and the others were on their way to looking as bad. He would run them into the fence chasing them! I still feel horrible. It's way too quiet without his crowing.
    I want another rooster that isn't such a savage, but I don't ever want to have to do this again! Maybe I'll just stick with hens.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I keep bantams and they are much easier. Sorry you had to go through that stress of taking care of it.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Get thee a nice bantam old english game. [​IMG] They're pretty and they take good care of the ladies (they have in my experience anyways).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
  4. hoosierhen

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Thanks for the sympathy. Could a bantam rooster rule my flock of standard hens?

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Sorry you had to do that, but it needed to be done. Bantam roos aren't always nice either - mine keeps attacking me - drew blood on my foot last week. I keep saying he's going to be soup...

6. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

If you wanted to hatch the eggs after using a bantam rooster wouldn't the chicks be much smaller or a cross between a bantam and standard breed ? What would you get for chicks ?

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have had horrible luck with RIR's. Better luck next time. BTW, I have a BO, Black Orp, and used to have a salmon faverolles that were all very nice.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I can't say enough about our 2 bantam cochin roos. They get along with each other great and take care of a flock of 12 standard hens. No, they don't even try to breed them....but they watch over them. Interesting, isn't it?

9. hoosierhen

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I will look around and see if anyone in my area (central Indiana) has a sweet rooster they would like to sell. I can't stand this silence! I wonder how my girls are going to be tonight when it's time to roost? He always slept with them...

10. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Top Hat Roos are beautiful and very gentle. The standards could handle your hens and you could get beautiful babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by