I killed one of my babies :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Sep 9, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I feel absolutely TERRIBLE . I was moving all of the chicks that hatched a few days ago to a much larger brooder. As I was going downstairs with them my 10mo woke up screaming. I tried mving a little faster because I wanted to make sure she was ok. The box fell out of my hands at the bottom!! Chicks started running everywhere. That's when I noticed it laying in the box on it's side gasping. I collected all the chicks and put them in the brooder, by the time I finished, it had died(ancona). I think the fall broke it's neck [​IMG] . I am super lucky that was the only casualty. I only had a small box so only was carrying about 12. I hope the rest are ok [​IMG] . I am thinking that if they all appear normal by tomorrow then I am clear.
    I am so glad the rest of the kids weren't home, then again if they were here it wouldn't have happened because I would have had help. I feel terrible [​IMG] . bad chicken momma

Krista

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry but we all make mistakes. [​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i think the fact that your 10 month old child was more important is what settles it. you responded to your child and not an animal.

we have charge over the animals in our care, but hands down, kids are top of the list.

in my opinion, you are a great mom, human and chicken because you have your priorities straight. sorry for the loss of the chick. it does hurt our hearts.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with miss_jayne. Even though we love our animals and never want to see them hurt, our human kids come first. Don't be so hard on yourself, it was an accident and we all have them. I am really sorry though, I know it was hard on you.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Oops, double post.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    oops, triple post!!!! ... what's going on here? dumb computers.[​IMG] (My computer does these weird things when the phone rings while I'm trying to 'send' something.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't beat yourself up over that, you are a Mom first and have your Mom instincts.
    You did nothing wrong.

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] So sorry for the loss of your chicky. Glad the baby is ok. Hoping the rest of the chicks are doing well. Don't beat yourself up over this.

9. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:I agree totally. Sorry about the little chicky but our human kiddies should come first.

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh gosh. I know how you feel. My son fell on two chicks and they were doing that gasping thing and died. It is horrid. You are a great mom, I am sure.:aww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by