I KILLED ONE OF MY CHICKS LAST NIGHT

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CHICKENCHASERWV, Feb 25, 2009.

1. CHICKENCHASERWV

CHICKENCHASERWV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    I RECIEVED AL 29 HEALTHY FROM MM ON MONDAY AL WAS WELL UNTIL I DECIDED THAT I WOULD GIVE THEM A TREAT SO I GAVE THEM SUN FLOWER SEEDS ALREADY SHELLED AND GOT UP THIS MORNING AND FOUND ONE OF THE YELLOW CHICKS FACE DOWN WHERE I PUT THE SEEDS. IT IS MY FAULT I THOUGHT ABOUT CUTTING THEM UP SMALLER BUT I DIDN'T. PLEASE GIVE ENCOURAGEMENT GRIEVING CHICK DADDY IN WV. P.S. WORK WILL NOT GIVE ME A DAY OFF FOR A DEATH IN FAMILY.

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

Give the survivors some grit ASAP, play sand or some other tiny sand/rocks.

3. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I am so sorry. What part of WV? I have tons of family in Petersburg.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    First, reach slowly over to the left side of your keyboard and gently tap the key that says "caps lock". Next, do what she (catalina) said. The rest should be fine. Sorry for your loss, but no, it isn't standard practice for a company to give grievance leave for a pet of any sort.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

6. CHICKENCHASERWV

CHICKENCHASERWV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    I am from Ellenboro WV between Parkersburg and Clarksburg. I was wondering about that key thanks I APPRECIATE IT oops i did it again. It is very discouraging I feel so bad my daughter will be very upset she has loved on each chick.

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:Now that is funny... Have you ever worked in Customer Support?

8. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I hope she doesn't lay it on you too bad. I will be thinking about you. One of my 1 week old chicks had a hurt leg and I was really mean to the hubbie because I thought he was holding her wrong when he cleaned her behind. She is better now but I guess I now know why he is not doing all the chores they require, he is scared he might get blammed.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It's sad to say, but lots of chicks die in the first week or so of life for one reason or another. I could be lots of things. Don't beat yourself up too bad over it. [​IMG]

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    The sad reality is that some chicks will die. This is a learning experience and I'm sure you won't be making the same mistake again. We have all been there, wishing we had or hadn't done something. No to long ago I drowned a beautiful maran hen while trying to give her medication. Felt like a idiot but I now know how to administer fluids without killing the bird. So just keep trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by