I killed them :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustMandy, Sep 20, 2010.

1. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    The bator temp was running a little low so I turned it up for my 4 eggs on day 9. Then I forgot to check it before I left. By the time I got home, it was 111*. [​IMG]

Thankfully chicken math factored in. I set 15 eggs today.

2. Peepers Creepers

Peepers Creepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    I am so sorry to hear your lil guys perished. Better luck on the new batch! [​IMG]

3. NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez NoSkiveez Poultry

Dec 27, 2009
    Casa Grande
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear that. Sometimes things,happen. Hubby dropped an 18 day egg this morning.

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Did you check that they were early deaths or assume? I ask because I had 112F for 6 or 7 hours once and still got 100% hatch... SHIPPED eggs.

Never give up on hatching eggs... nature has a way of pulling through. Now, if you candled them and they were dead, then that is one thing... but don't ever just give up!

Ask "aveca" about her frozen eggs that hatched!

5. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Quote:Did you check that they were early deaths or assume? I ask because I had 112F for 6 or 7 hours once and still got 100% hatch... SHIPPED eggs.

Never give up on hatching eggs... nature has a way of pulling through. Now, if you candled them and they were dead, then that is one thing... but don't ever just give up!

Ask "aveca" about her frozen eggs that hatched!

Yes I was going to say the same thing, Ive heard alot of stories about higher spikes in temps and the eggs still hatched.

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Me too, lol. I would have given those eggs at least a shot

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Never touch the temperature control after setting eggs without being prepared to lose them all or knowing your incubator very very well. You are better off letting it run low and potentially losing a couple than trying to bump it up a degree or 2. You can be several degrees low the entire 3 weeks and still get a good hatch. Eggs will continue to incubate down to 96F for awhile but you only have to be a couple degrees high to lose them all.

That said even with a severe temp spike don't throw them out until you candle several days later. Just because the thermometer reads that temp doesn't mean the inside of the egg reached it yet. Air cools and heats faster than the eggs. Even if it does get very hot it doesn't mean you lost them all yet. Death may start to happen when they reach 103-104 but not every egg is going to die at the exact same second. Some hardier chicks may survive long enough.

8. JustMandy

JustMandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    I gave them 2 extra days and nada.

My water probe temp was at 109*.

They were toast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by