I kinda... misplaced... a kitten Update: Caught him!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Frosty, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Most of my barn kitties are very friendly. I have one that's really flighty, so I caught him and brought him into the house to give him some canned catfood. That way he could associate people with good stuff (worked beautifully on his siblings). I put him on the counter and reached for the can of food and he started freaking, poor thing was terrified! I let go before either of us got hurt (I was afraid he would bite me) and he took off running. Now he is... ummm... somewhere in my house, hiding. Not my plan! [​IMG]

Now I have to catch this spastic kitten, and since I think the experience was traumatic for him, I'll probably need to keep him in until he settles down or the only thing he will have learned is that the house is scarey. Note to self... take them to a small room before putting them down!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Uh-oh, good luck finding the kitten! I hope he calms down and learns that the house and people are not bad as well.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Put the canned food in a dish where he/she can get it.

4. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Well, I found the kitten under the refrigerator in the laundry room, put down some canned food and put the grill back on to try to keep the house cats from eating the food. Left the kitten in peace for a few minutes thinking it would eat, just checked and the food is still there but the kitten was gone. It relocated behind the washer. I have no idea of how I am going to catch it without reinforcing in his mind that people are scarey! Could bring in some of the other kittens, see if that would draw him out but still don't know how I am going to catch him. He won't even let me touch him while he is eating. I really hope that I didn't do long term damage to the taming process!

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    [​IMG] I have been down this road more than once. I doubt you have done any damage in the long term. I would first put down a litter box and then I would ignore the kitten. Food and water for a few days. It will finally get bored of being on it's own. A couple days or a week of absolute boredom will get most kittens thinking about how to have fun again. I have done this with some really feral kittens that I thought were going to get the better of me, but then after nearly a month of being in the sewing room by it's self, it started to come around. I wish I knew the rest of the story, but that is about the time i was able to re-home the kitten to it's forever home.

6. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Silly kitten came out, and while trying to catch him, he ran into the bathroom so DH flipped on the light and closed the door. I have plenty of cat boxes in the house, I have seven 'house' cats. A few of them are ex-barn cats moved inside for one reason or another... the asthmatic who gets sick in the barn, the big orange cat who gets sunburn if he goes out in the sun...

Back to kitten, I slipped into the bathroom with him armed with a plate of canned catfood. He promptly tried to climb the wall, jumped on the towels hanging on the back of the door and climped until he was hanging off of the top of the doorframe. I grabbed one of the towels and was debating how to use it to get him down when he jumped down, but poor thing was freaking. He went to hide in the back corner so I edged the catfood over and he actually started eating! A few minutes later I was able to pet him a little but he was still really nervous. By the time he was done eating, I had him in my lap, and while still wary, he kept eating. Then I was able to pick him up without getting clawed and carried him back outside where I gave him a few more pets and let him go. Next time I catch him and bring him in, it will be straight to the bathroom where I will have food ready! But I consider it a little progress because when he was eating in the barn, if I caught him to pet him he quit eating and tried to get away. As soon as the mom's milk dries up I need to get back to work on the spay/neuter project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by