1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I kiss my eggs. How bout you.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DeeThomas, Apr 23, 2009.

1. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    This may be strange but sometimes when I am holding it I will kiss it just for good luck. Maybe its weird but its just me. You probably have all tried it. [​IMG]

2. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I'm weird about kissing something that has come out of a bird's cloaca, but, if that wouldn't be in the back of my head, sure, I would, lol.

Eww, I looked it up to make sure I spelled it right, and, apparantly, it came from a Latin word that means "sewer"... Yeah, definately not, lol.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    ahh they have been in heat so. its not bad plus washed. I'm not concerned. just a peck not like your sharing saliva LOL.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    They've been in heat, alright...not the kind of heat that kills cooties, but the kind of heat that incubates cooties.

smooch away tho. [​IMG]

ps, you're not s'posta wash 'em either.

6. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    no but i misted them for humidity so. Idk its fine. [​IMG]

7. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I've not kissed my eggs, but my DD has named them. I talk to them when they are getting close to pipping, they sound lonely and scared so I figure they need to hear something encouraging. I have no qualms smooching the chicks. [​IMG]

8. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    I am afraid to TOUCH the eggs.. because I might drop them. But do LOOK at them a lot and whisper things like "hatch! hatch!
    I need cute chickies!" ..... I just love chicks! awwwww and kissing is great if it works for you!

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I agree with betacreek, I'm not kissing anything that comes from a birds back end.

10. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Well as mothers you would kiss your baby after giving birth to it! And dad does too. grandma grandpa its not big deal. Its LIFE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by