I knew free-ranging could be risky.......

rainierlass

Songster
10 Years
Jan 1, 2010
Eatonville,WA
but I thought my 6 mo. olds were pretty safe right up next to the house within 20 feet of me.........

Yesterday morning I let the girls out to free range in the little grassy area below my family room windows......about 7:30 I heard a huge commotion - jumped up out of my computer chair to see a coyote attacking the girls...he had come up the driveway and around the corner of the forest to get to them........I SCREAMED "Get out of here!" while puttin on my shoes on my way out the door - I looked and he was at the forest edge glaring at me for a second before running into the forest....I did NOT see a chicken in his mouth - took me about 10 minutes to convince the flock they needed to get into the run........then I counted.....only had 8 - not 9.......looked around and saw Scramble's feathers in a small pile on the ground - not a huge amount - kinda looked like he got a bunch of butt feathers ........saw a few more up next to the brambles about 10 ft away........then one or two where he went in and ran.....I thought about heading into the forest to see if I could find him but it is so dense and thick with underbrush it was a no go..........came back and searched and searched for Scramble thinking she was injured and hunkered down in the ferns and such........did not find her..........and no sign of her this morning........I feel bad and realize that free-ranging is what they want to do - but I just can't handle handing over my hens to the nasty brazen critters..........

I would love to think she will come back but am not holding out any hope of it...........

I hope you find peace my lil Scramble - she laid my very first egg.......and was a friendly lil girl..........I will miss her..........

46366_kitchen_crew_-_4_mo_048.jpg

I'm so sorry. I hope she comes back, just shaken and missing some feathers, but I don't know what the chances are.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
Awww, I'm so very sorry, and do
fl.gif
pray you'll find her.

Either way, you could build the rest of your flock a tractor and give them the best of both worlds, fresh greens and protection.

Got a 12 guage by the front door ready and waiting to give him a howdy-do!

A tractor is an idea - but am not sure how much of a hassle it is - have a friend that has one to give me for free if I just haul it off........might be doing that -

thanks all for your kind words - I have been pretty bummed out about it.
roll.png

We've had terrible trouble with coyotes lately with our little flock in the country. A friend who lives about a mile away said they have seen more than ever this summer. DH drove up just as one was running away with one of our sex links in its mouth. Its a price we pay for letting them free range. The really tame chickens that we keep here at the house sleep in the tractor but free range (in the privacy fenced back yard) during the day. The tractor works great- just move it ever day or two. If my back yard was less secure, that's exactly what I would do. I'm sorry you lost your chicken; hopefully you'll be able to provide the coyote some 'karma' in this lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom