I knew I shouldn't of let the vet spay my pup...rant

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tls_ranch, Sep 7, 2009.

1. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

I let my vet spay my puppy just before a FOUR day holiday weekend! I thought about delaying it, but didn't follow my gut. Just my bad luck, now I think my lab pup Eva has an infection. Tonight the stitches just don't look right and there is some discharge starting. I'll have to take her in first thing tomorrow morning.

I did keep some antibiotics (for dogs/cats and specifically for wound infections) on hand. But, I only have enough for two doses and I hope it will help until tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    hope all goes well with your pup. my girl is two and i'm panicky about getting her spayed.

3. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    four day holiday? i only got one

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Flush the area with peroxide and dont panic.

A little discharge is normal

5. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    Make sure she isnt licking it, almost all infections are from them licking. You can put a tee shirt on her. I'd clean it up with an antiseptic, and put a tee shirt on her. It will probably look better by morning. All a vet will do is wipe it off and give her antibiotics, and probably an e-collar. as long as she isnt licking it I wouldnt panick about it just yet.

6. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Well, she's not licking it yet... But, I'm still taking her to the vet as soon as they open. I really like my vet, but it's a small office. They did call on Saturday, but she was fine then.

At least the it doesn't smell and is mostly clear. But there is a lot weeping at the wound than with other spays that I've seen.

I did clean it with peroxide and patted the area dry. I hope she'll be ok. She's a great dog.... Probably the best dog I've had so far.

Thank you for all of your advice. I guess I am just a little panicky.

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I think you lil girl should be fine. We have 9 dogs and they have all been spayed/neutered. They all have handled their surgeries differently some with discharge others no ill effects at all. I wouldn't worry too much. You've done what can. Like the others said it will probably look much better by morning. [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I always make my pet's spay or neuter appts. for just this reason at the beginning of the week. If they don't have a monday or tuesday opeing I wait until they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by