i know 4 sq feet but...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brianm97, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    so http://www.clarkfarmbusiness.com/Chicken-Coops.html these people seem very knowledgeable but 1.6 sq feet seems small. my stepdad now thinks that us giveing around 3.5-4 feet per bird is way too much space. i told him that we still should build a 6 by8 for 10-13 chickens but now he wants to do something like 4by 8 which is only enough for 8 birds. wouldnt they fight? we were thinking about designing off the salt box coop that they have. what do you think?

P.S. if this should be in the coop design/con. please move. i wasn't sure because it is sort of a mix.
    eta i also have a run that would be attached and there also would be in a pen and can free range from 2:20 to night most days.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    With no outside run (you didn't mention one) I would only put 3 adult birds in a 4' x 8' pen: large fowl. Access to an outside run makes all the difference.

Large fowl Chicks (6 weeks to 20 weeks) 4' x 8:' 6 to 8

The more space they have the better off they'll be; that's just a given.

3. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    oh i forgot about the run definatly there would be a nice run and free ranged from 2:40 till night most days.

4. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    they always will have access to a run though

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Then you could probably be fine with up to 10 birds. How large is the run?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just try to imagine that many chickens crammed into a tiny coop during a winter like you had last winter - just won't work. If you try it, you'll be starting a thread, "My chickens are pecking one another to death --".

7. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Not meaning to sound smart: But what has winter got to do with free-ranging or a run?

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    The more room they can have, the better. Better for them (not pecking at each other, better air quality), better for you (less dense poo areas to clean) to have more room per bird.

That being said, you can get away with less room per bird if they are outside in a large run for all or most of the day except roosting time.

Despite bad winters up here, the "kids" go out each and every day unless it's actively snowing. I do have to keep the run cleared of snow or else they won't venture out. They're much less bored that way and don't peck each other. Don't worry about the cold.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Please note that the OP is from Connecticut. We get snow up here. Chickens have a rough time free ranging in 3' of snow. [​IMG]

10. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:The birds won't go out during a heavy snowstorm and won't venture out onto ground that isn't mostly shoveled. Then they're stuck in the coop, which may be too small for their needs and cause pecking.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by