I know 4 sq. foot per bird, but...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ncCHICKS, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I stink at math stuff. When I figure it up I get 2...

I am building a 8ft X4ft X4ft coop.

I want all standard hens, no roos

How many chickens will fit nicely? I'd like to keep a small 10x6 run attached full time, but about 4 hours a day, they will have supervised free range. Prefered not more than 5 chickens.

2. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

DOUBLE POST

3. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

You can fit 8 chickens by the way the last digit doesn't matter its the height, it dosen't mean anything when finding square footage!

4. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Sorry, must have clicked too much, I thought it was from where I edited it, but oops. Is there a way I can delete the second one?? Once again sorry,

Oh and thanks a lot.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I think you can go as low as 2 sq. feet per bird. Just some run area of course.

6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Personally I would not go as low as 2 square feet per bird. Look at how big 2 square feet is. Would you like that to be your living space?

I would say 4 square feet is a MIN. and youcan always go bigger.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My two coops are each 4x8, and I would not have more than six hens and a rooster in each coop. I now have four Orpingtons, three hens and a rooster, but I would like to have two more hens for the Orpington coop. My other coop is for two silkies.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    If they're going outside everyday, I would go with 3 sq. ft./bird. I do consider the height when I calculate for my birds. More surfaces = more space. They're only in there to roost and lay eggs. I make sure there's ample room to do both of these things. If you're getting snow drifts, you might want more space, so they can stay inside for a week.

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    keep in mind if you live in a colder area that in the winter they might be spending more time indoors.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Frankly I don't even like 4 sq ft per chicken, in this climate anyhow. There are enough rainy ucky days, and a long enough cold enough winter, that there are lotsa times they just do not WANT to be out. Same might be true in some hot climates if you cannot provide a LARGE area of shady coolth.

Mine have like 8-12 sq ft per chicken INDOORS (plus run), sometimes more, and I would not feel comfortable giving them any less here.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by