1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know about egg songs, is there a morning song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie Lynn, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    In the a.m. my banty starts an egg song. Then the other 2 standard hens join in and it is awesome [​IMG]

However, this is hours before the first egg, and even longer for the next eggs (afternoon layers).

Is there such a thing as a morning song? Does the banty (highest on pecking order) fill in for the lack of a roosters crow?

They spend nights in the garage, in a dog kennel set-up, and are probably eager to be moved to their small coop.

Carrie

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have one that recently has started screaming something similar to her egg song when I'm not out there to let them out of the coop early enough. LOUD. Just started doing that a couple days ago. She started laying a couple days ago too, but so far never before around noon.

3. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    Me too! My EE was hollering away the other morning and I thought she had laid an egg. But she was just singing away and like you said VERY loudly! Too funny....[​IMG]

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Yes! Mine sing if I'm not out there letting them out soon enough. Sounds like a jungle out there.

deb g
    KY

5. SnowyHen

SnowyHen New Egg

May 27, 2010
    My Little Hen Farm
    I was wondering if it is a "Morning song" when my top hen is laying in the morning, and my other two hens are singing just outside the coop?

6. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have one girl who sings ALL the time. We are constantly asking her to shut it down [​IMG]

7. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    How funny these girls can be. [​IMG]

This morning as I was moving the "big girls" to their coop, the banty was left behind for a couple of minutes.

She started sing her "bauk, bauk.."morning song. She was standing up tall like a rooster does when he crows.
    After this, I am pretty sure her song is a "let me out", or "come feed me", or "hey, it's morning"
    greeting/song. Funny, that she doesn't ever sing the egg song after laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by