I know, but I have to ask!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pokey, Dec 23, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Ok, I hatched out some pure blue wheaten ameraucanas in the spring( feb or mar). Still not laying yet. Their combs are red, and roo is HUGE! When am I going to get eggs? How old do ameracanas need to be to lay?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. BellyShell

BellyShell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Central Florida
    I have no idea as I'm in the same boat with my buttercups:(. Mr BC is doning is job but not so much as a glimer of an egg yet.

3. triumphman

triumphman New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    I'm in the same boat. I got my chicks (wyandottes) about a week before Easter. Still no eggs. I was really worried they had some rare disease. I've been told some have waited untill february or later for spring chicks to start laying.

4. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    At 8 or 9 months old they are hiding their eggs somewhere or you got boys, just kidding!

5. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    Feed them black pepper!

6. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    I have never wanted this long......but it also took forever for my adult birds to molt this year.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Ameraucanas take up to 8 months or longer before laying; when they do start you get lovely blue eggs that make the wait worthwhile. [​IMG]

8. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Quote:I hope so. I go out every day and get so depressed. It's like Christmas and I got nothing!

9. Mnswm2

Mnswm2 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    Maybe that will be your Christmas present from her tomorrow. Make sure they are not hiding them somewhere else, that happened to me. I was waiting and waiting and then found a dozen in a corner. Now I check everywhere daily. Are they still going outside or do you have a light on during the day?

10. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Just curious: your location says "upstate". Are you in a cold climate? Even though we haven't had real snow since that freaky pre-Halloween storm, I know that I am still in New England, and numbers drop off when days get shorter, so I am not expecting to see 10 eggs every day--it's more like 2 or 3. most days.
    (And, my Ameracauna isn't really one, so those blue eggs I waited for--Nuh-uh! I think the speckledy ones come from Meri.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by