i know chickens peck but is it normal they peck at you as an attack???HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aquagolda, Aug 23, 2014.

1. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    I just added three little chicks to my 18 chicken flock I have 5 chicks I added earlier and aren't very far in age difference but the rest are at least a year or older I went to put my chickens away in the coop as I always do and one chicken was out as always and I put it back in and then my three chicks didn't go inside the coop like they should and I went to pick them up and put them in and first I put the loose chicken in an just reached my hands out to pick one up (which ever was their nobody specific) and my one chicken attacked my hand I did get a small cut nothing serious but im curiose if I should be worried I believe its a female and when it was little did peck when I went to pick it up but hasn't pecked me in a long time so I thought it was just a faze but now she like attacked me and im not sure what to say or do.

thanks for any help. -aqua

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sometimes a pullet is just more aggressive/dominant. She probably think that she's the boss.

3. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    ok then what should I do to tell her im the boss and not her?

4. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    any suggestions please or it would be nice to know what you would do or have done

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I had a chicken that would peck me and when she would do that I'd take my finger and tap her firmly (almost like a peck). I wouldn't do it straight on her head, but on her beak or body.

6. aquagolda

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    ok thanks ill try that net time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by