I know first eggs are suposed to be small but this takes the cake!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pamperedpoultry, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Ok, heres a pic of the 2 eggs I got from some young pullets just starting to lay mind you the egg on the left is a bantam egg and the egg on the right also a bantam egg... LOL this tiny thing has blown my mind...
    [​IMG]

2. Oh cute! I keep all of the 'fairy eggs' my girls lay.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

3. chicken500

chicken500 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Hatch it!

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Yep, I've seen first eggs that small.

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    What about this?:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pamperedpoultry

Well glad to here that lil booger is normal. Thats honestly the smallest one any of mines ever laid. Whats the earliest anyones had a hen to lay (age wise) I'm wondering if it didnt come from one of my 4+ month old pullets. The rest have been laying normal size eggs. Or can they lay normal and then pop up with one of these?

7. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I have a chicken-owning friend who gets small eggs from his 13 month old hens.

8. pamperedpoultry

Quote:ha ha I just went and compared it to a quarter the quarters bigger...[​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, they can lay an itty bitty after they have already started laying. I believe they are usually without yolks, and I think they call them wind eggs? Though not sure on that one. I don't know what causes that to happen.

10. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    They can lay normal size eggs and then lay one of the little ones. Sometimes they have either a very tiny yolk, or none at all. Some people call them rooster eggs or fart eggs. I have only gotten one of them myself, but it was from one of my EE hens and I watched her lay it. All of her other eggs have been normal. But they are neat when you get one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by