I know he's a male :) but curious about breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yellowxo, Aug 18, 2014.

1. yellowxo

yellowxo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Thats a white leghorn

3. yellowxo

Aug 2, 2014
    Thank you! :)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, looks like a White Leghorn to me too.

5. yellowxo

Aug 2, 2014
    @Wyandottes7 thanks! He is the sweetest :) loves to sit on my lap and get pet

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with the others--you have a handsome White Leghorn rooster.

7. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have a White Leghorn roo who is also very sweet. The family we got him from said he was mean, aggressive and crowed non-stop. We originally thought he'd be soup...until I met him. I had no experience with this breed until him, and he didn't exactly come with a glowing recommendation. However, he's sweet, cuddly and so attached to me it's unbelievable. Is this a normal characteristic of the breed or is it just an individual chicken personality thing? I figured out about the superhero flying powers on my own, lol, as he will launch himself across large spaces to perch on me & cuddle.
    My flock is safely contained when they're not on supervised free range time or I'm sure he'd be leading the escapees. Also, does anyone know how big the WLs get? I have one other roo, a handsome Barred Rock, and he towers over everyone else. The BR was hatched in late Jan 2014 and we estimate the WL roo hatched around Late March to mid April. The size difference is pretty great, which is why I wondered if my WL was going to get much bigger. Anyone know? (He was too small to go out in the coop when we first got him, so he stayed in the basement in a safe, clean , warm environment with plenty of fresh water & lots of food. He was a flock of one + us chicken parents, so he crowed quite a lot. Since his intro to communal coop life & being #2 roo, I haven't heard one crow outta him!)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  8. yellowxo

Aug 2, 2014
    @BarredRockMom it's nice to know someone else has a sweet roo also! I'm not sure about their size but mine was also hatched around that same time! (Got him April 22 as a baby and was no older than a few weeks) I did have someone tell me they they don't get much bigger than ours are right now. Of course they grow a little more though. He could be wrong though. I've seen pictures of small and large white leghorns so this is a mystery to me as well

9. yellowxo

Aug 2, 2014
    How we're currently sitting [​IMG]

10. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Oh my goodness, he's so handsome & cuddly! What did you name him? He looks just as soft and fluffy as my boy. I call mine Mr Peanut, as he was no bigger than a peanut when we got him. When we first let everyone meet up outside, he looked like a bantam next to my 4 yr old hen. I'm guessing that he's going to stay sweet, since he's had ample opportunity to get saucy and has not. So far, so good! As for how big he gets, I guess we'll just have to wait & see. Since he can do no wrong, lol, it doesn't matter to me. My husband says it's a case of him being spoiled and my looking at him with rose colored glasses. I say it's a case of it being nearly impossible NOT to love him when he so clearly loves me so much. Does your boy follow you around like a little dog, too? That's just the cutest darned thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by