I know he's a mutt but...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MzPlacedHippie, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    I wonder if anyone knows where all the color might come from?[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Ooh pretty! That's why I breed mixed breed birds! I have a pullet who is almost the female version of him--a little more of the black barring, but a healthy dose of the red, too. I call her my calico pullet!

I'm guessing his ancestry had barred (probably barred rock) and red (rhode Island/production red). Something not straight combed got in there, though, also. He's sure a looker! How's his temperament?

3. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    He's a pretty good roo. Right now I'm looking to rehome him cause my dominant roo is a RIR with the proper coloring. Very talkative with lots of unusual sounds. He calls the hens when he finds treats and he's gotten between them & a snake. He has run up and pecked my foot once but only seemed like show. (That got him scooped up & carried around - how insulting!)

All of my chickens were gifts. I was told they were rhodies, but I have two pullets with ear tufts & one who's wheat colored. Bunch of different feet colors too. That roo is the only one with the big goofy comb.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, he's pretty enough, hopefully you'll find a good home for him. Or, you know, he looks nice and meaty.........

5. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    lol. I'm a vegetarian. I think I've found a spot for him with a friend who has lots of hens and several little 'flocks'. Perhaps he can make a little harem of his own.

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    His color is barring(the same as on barred rocks) on a black tailed buff bird. If you like this color, breed him with orpingtons or better, new hampshires(what his color probably would look like if not barred), rhode island reds or production reds. Red sex links would be a good try also, however some of them might be too white. About half of the offspring would be as colorful as him in both sexes.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. MzPlacedHippie

Aug 2, 2013
    Ah cool. His new owner will be pleased to hear this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by