I know I am a worry wort but is it too cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lbartsch, Aug 6, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    It's my girls (7 weeks old) third or fourth night out in the coop. They put themselves to bed which was awesome but when I went to take their food up and make sure all the doors were locked they were shrieking like mad. I peeked in through the top vent and then were climbing all over each other in the corner by the door. I know it's really hot in places but I'm in the Bay Area in California and it's going to go down to 50 tonight. Are they cold? Should I take them back in? They weren't just huddled together, they were climbing on top of each other and I'm worried they will smother someone.

Thanks!

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Are they feathered out? If so they will be fine, Maybe you scared them when you went in? I did not put mine out until they were 12 weeks old, but I'm sure they were ready sooner lol.

3. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Yes they are feathered out. Here's a photo just for fun of one of them.

[​IMG]

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    They are just figuring out a new home mine seem to be dumb at first to use a new roost and they'll pile up in a corner I have a light in my coops so that helps I can put them on the roosts get them settled down and leave by the end of the week they have the new house figured out and are fine. I don't think it's too cold they are just young with no mamma to teach them....

5. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Should I go put them on the roosts? I just want them to be happy.

6. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    You can put them on the roosts till they get the hang of it. I'm here in Florida and even when it's really hot, which is all the time lately they still all go together on 1 roost and squish together. I think they are just a good flock and want to be close, probably for safety or maybe they are just pals....I really like that idea! Don't worry too much.....they work it all out eventually![​IMG]

7. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks for all your support! They were fine and all on the roosts this morning when I went out to give them breakfast and let them into the run. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by