I know, I asked this before......

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrbstephens, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

but I have to ask again. My rooster is waking me up at 5:30 in the am.....and probably my neighbors too. I have plexi glass to go over the windows which should muffle the sound and I wanted to know if I could cover the windows for the nights yet. The temp is going down to 59 degrees F tonight. Can I do it?

2. mrbstephens

I hope someone replies soon. It's getting dark. [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Patience, grasshopper. [​IMG] I always wanted to say that!

If you have good ventilation it should be okay. But..... you need ventilation to allow removal of the ammonia, and for keeping the chickens cool enough.

It's tricky, since I don't know how many chickens in what kind of coop.

Best bet? Rehome the roo.

4. mrbstephens

Quote:I have open vents along the length of the coop on the front and back under the roof. The coop is 4 x 6 and there are 6 standard chickens in there.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm still on the fence. To tell you the truth, I'm one of those fools who would stay up half the night checking to make sure they don't get too warm, even though it seems okay.

I sure wish someone else would weigh in here!

What about a different approach- is the run predator proof? Can you lock up only the roo? Even in a cage in the garage?

6. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you should talk to the neighbors. It they are like me they will say not to worry. But it's a good thing to be on good terms with the neighbors, so make sure they are perfectly honest about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by