i know i got an egg today...but someone told me...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarheel4lif3, Jan 15, 2008.

1. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    that if i put like a golf ball in a nesting box a chicken is more likely to lay an egg?! is this true?! [​IMG]

2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    She's more likely to lay the egg inside that nest box. The golf ball itself won't actually make her lay an egg.

3. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    yeah see the thing is she laid it just randomly on the ground. so maybe that will help!

4. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    i keep them in my nest boxes . i have been told it helps them to lay in the boxes ,plus helps them not to start eating eggs.

5. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    The golf ball thing really works. I have two nest boxes and put golf balls in both, but my girls all wanted to use just one box. After several months of laying I decided to take the ball out of their favorite box to see what they would do. They all immediately started using the other box that still had the ball in it. Silly birds.

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Doesn't it have something to do with chickens instinctively wanting to build a clutch, so they lay in the nest that has more "eggs" (real or golf balls) in it. I probably read it on here, from someone a whole lot smarter then me, lol! Guess that means I'm learning everyday, considering I read on here everyday! [​IMG]

Dawn

7. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    I have some ceramic eggs. can you use those? would it help your chickens to begin laying if they have not started yet?

8. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    yes ceramic eggs will work. a hen will lay when she is ready .

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    If it's your chickens first egg, it's likely that she didn't know what was happening and just popped it out. Next time she's likely to lay it in the nesting box, but I would get the golf ball in there or a ceramic egg or whatever you want to use. Yes they really work.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've used plastic easter eggs too.
    OK, so I'm cheap and I reuse them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by