I know, I know you shouldn't use multiple thermometers but....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachelcb80, Nov 1, 2011.

1. rachelcb80

rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    Okay, getting my incubator all set up for a shipment of eggs I'll be receiving later this week. It's a styrofoam still air bator and I've hatched a couple different batches of eggs in it with pretty good success. This will be my first time with shipped eggs though. The little mercury thermometer mounted to the piece of plastic that comes with the incubator is nowhere to be found. I've looked and looked and don't know what I could have done with it. I went out and bought a mercury aquarium thermometer this weekend. In a nutshell I have it and two other digital thermometers in the incubator right now, in roughly the same place. Mercury thermometer reads 99, cheap indoor/outdoor digital reads 103 and somewhat nice digital kitchen thermometer reads 102. So the age old question, which one should I go with? No idea how to calibrate either digital (if it even can be done).

2. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    go with the aquarium thermometer if you want to test it get a bowl of water with ice in it ( as much ice as you can with out it going above the water line) leave it for 15 mins put aquarium thermometer in it, it should read 0 F not 0 c [​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I actually recommend using many thermometers, and you can read my cheat sheet from the bottom of my signature- I think you ned to run out and get some cheapos that match with the same reading in the store.

Good luck!

4. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    Quote:.
    i read your cheat sheet ChooksChick very very good read and makes a lot of cents. [​IMG]

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:.
    i read your cheat sheet ChooksChick very very good read and makes a lot of cents. [​IMG]

Thanks! Hope to help someone!

It's not an addiction if you get all your friends and general public in on it, right?!? [​IMG]

6. h4ppy-chris

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    no it's a passion hun [​IMG]

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:And man does Chooks know what she's talking about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by