I know I'm a rooster...but what am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IcarusSomnio, May 14, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking...Barred Rock crossed with something else? He's a year old and crows his little heart out. He scared the bejeezus outta my drakes. He crowed and they all took off across the yard trying to fly (their too fat and un-aerodynamic to do much more than get a few inches off the ground for foot or two of 'flight'). Gotta love roosters [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    He sure is pretty, he does have that barred rock look on the bottom half.....or domiique? Maybe the top half could be...ummm.....I'm stumped!

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Dominique cross! Looks like it has a rose comb like dominique would have.

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
  5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    He's not a black sex link, sexlinks have a single comb....this guy has a rose comb and a black sex link would not have that much white.

6. dani63

dani63 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
  7. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Dom (mother) x RIR(father) would still be a sex link. It depends on the breed you use to make the sex link. You can also use a SLW, which has a rose comb. [​IMG]

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have a red sussex with the same comb,his comb got frost bite and now looks like that.Cause that comb doesnt look like a rose comb...

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    That comb is weird. It looks like it was dubbed or something. He sure has pink legs. Could he be part orpington? Or marans?

10. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    I was thinking maran x too, I have a few 4 wk olds that have black/pink legs and the only response I got on here was sexlink, but I don't think they are.
    What about an EE x maran? The barring would be dominent and he has the rosecomb, I think the barring is too blurred together to be BR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by