I know I'm being a pest ~ but who else to ask then the pros

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GaNewChick, Apr 2, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    We have some severe storms coming through this afternoon with tornado watches. I am on day 19 ~ should the power go out, how is the best way to keep the incubator warm.

LG Still Air

Thanks!!!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If you warm some bottles of water in the microwave (while the power's still on obviously) you can stick those in there to try and keep the heat up. If you have a fireplace you can start that and set the incubators in front of it.

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Cover it with a blanket , but it will drop temp anyways. hopefully the power wont go out. Good luck

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Keep your fingers crossed that it don't go out and if it does you are awake. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

When my electric goes out and I am awake, I get hot tap water (hottest it can get) and put a bowl in the incubator and wrap the eggs in a towel. If you have a gas stove as I do, you can boil the water. I love my gas stove, if the electric is out, it keeps working.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I posted about that the other day, but it got lost in the shuffle. I was thinking hot water bottle, perhaps pint jars full of hot water, wrapped in dish towels, anything that will hold heat and keep swapping them out. And a flat, wide container of water to keep the humidity up, if needed.

I've never used a still air, mine is a forced air- so in my case, I'd have to prop the top open a bit for air circulation.

That weather system is headed here next- we usually get what you get, just later. It's pouring here, has been for the last 24 hours. [​IMG]

Good luck, hope it doesn't happen!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    If you opt for a blanket cover, make sure the air vents are still open! I have read that if they get cooled off, it will just delay the hatch, not ruin it.

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Quote:That is what happened to mine, accept the ones that were pipping hatched and died within 24 hours. I do not know if it was due to the electric going out while I was a sleep and the temp dropping to 82* or not. Just keep your fingers crossed.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:In your bra. [​IMG] Seriously, there is a thread on here about using a "bra bator" with success. I guess it really depends on how many eggs you've got in there though. I don't think 30 eggs would fit in anyone's bra, no matter how well endowed. [​IMG]

Best wishes to you with the storms. Earlier in the week they were calling for severe storms here today too, but I haven't watched the weather today so I don't know if they've changed that forecast or not. Last Friday evening they were tracking a tornado that was WAY too close to here for comfort. No damage was reported anywhere, thank God. I detest tornado weather! [​IMG]

9. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Thanks Gabrielle and Kelly. It's 60 degrees here. My neighbors would think I was nuts for building a fire. [​IMG]

Countrybum ~ I'm total electric. But I do have a neighbor across the street who is gas, so that is a possibility. Sorry to hear about losing yours during a power outage. My first try was a total failure ~ this is my second try.

Ranchand ~ yep, its coming your way. Hopefully it won't be too bad when it reaches you.

hmmmm~ stick them in my bra like the other lady did? lol It would keep them warm but not sure about the humidity though.

10. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Quote:In your bra. [​IMG] Seriously, there is a thread on here about using a "bra bator" with success. I guess it really depends on how many eggs you've got in there though. I don't think 30 eggs would fit in anyone's bra, no matter how well endowed. [​IMG]

Best wishes to you with the storms. Earlier in the week they were calling for severe storms here today too, but I haven't watched the weather today so I don't know if they've changed that forecast or not. Last Friday evening they were tracking a tornado that was WAY too close to here for comfort. No damage was reported anywhere, thank God. I detest tornado weather! [​IMG]

I was typing my post when you wrote this. lol I have 6 eggs ~ so it shouldn't be a problem.

We have had enough rain these last few weeks....I'm really getting tired of the rain with this Georgia red clay. It's awful on my carpet and my 2 dogs. One is a white Malte-poo and the other one is a yellow Lab.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by