I know, I'm sorry, a repeat question, but please help me anyway! =)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Riocotesei, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I have money! So I want to buy a Incubator. What is a good brand? I can pay 50-70ish. I think I want a forced air one, don't mind if it's styrofoam. I'm estimating that I'll get 3 doz. a week so thats 36 eggs, and I can hold eggs til about 7 days but less days is better. I've seen a still air Little Giant at Tractor Supply is that any good?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    most people like the Hovas. theres some for 40ish which hold 30 eggs.. you'll just have to turn the eggs yourself

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I have an LG that I used for a few years as a still air incubator. And this year instead of spending $40 on a fan kit to convert it into a force air, I ripped a cooling fan from an old desktop computer and wired my own. So far so good, and its working perfectly. I like my LG....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    How much did you pay for your LG?

And it's hovabator right? Is there more to the name like SL902 or something like that?

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    I had good success with a Hovabator, forced air. An egg turner is always worth its price, but also get a good thermometer/hygrometer. There are excellent offers on e-bay.....Happy hatching......

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Have you done a search? There's lots of info...in fact there was just a thread like this a day or so ago.

7. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Yeah I'm doing some searching now. I heard some good stuff about sportsmans brand too.... Thanks

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, Sportmans are good if you've got lots of extra money laying around!! I'll keep my genesis 1588s.....they do a good job.

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:My LG I think was like $40 at Tractor Supply. The turner was another $40, and the fan kit was free.

I used my LG still air for a couple years and hand turned my eggs twice a day, and had good hatch rates for a backyard hobby breeder. The only reason that I have a turner now is because a friend gave it to me. As well, the only reason its a "force air" is because of the knowledge and idea I obtained from others on BYC who have done it, and because it was FREE!

Oh, its an LG 9200 I believe. Whatever the base model is.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  10. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Yeah i researched and sportsman is BIG. I didn't know what it was I just heard it was good....so I don't need that, not yet anyways. Hehehe [​IMG]
    I'm going to see if I can get a good price on a hova, and if not I'll go for the LG.
    Hey poulet I'm also in the yahoo DFW forum! ladybloom ya know, anyways Hi! didn't know you were on here. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by