I know it's early but I want some eggs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Oct 7, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Since I picked up the straw at the local farm CSA on Weds - I went ahead and used it yesterday to open my nest boxes - which may have been a mistake - time will tell.

I have three nest boxes and I put the straw inside and a fake easter egg in each just for fun. My chicks aren't any where close to laying - I have 1 pullet who is 12 weeks old tomorrow and 3 pullets who are 8.5 weeks old as of Tuesday - so no one is supposed to need the boxes for awhile. Apparently someone has been checking them out because there was straw moved about and the green egg was tossled! Guess I will have to keep an eye on them and make sure no one is using it to sleep in. Last night I noticed they were all on the roost when they went to sleep - so hopefully they won't try to sleep in there.

I'm guessing I won't get eggs until around week 20? My oldest is a White Leghorn and her comb is starting to red up and get a little taller. The other "pullets" are just a guess at this point - but they don't have big combs and aren't acting aggressively and most importantly no one has crowed! One of my WL Roos was crowing by 6 weeks old and another started shortly after him - the other two have yet to crow, but I figure that's because they're the low man on the totem pole roos.

I can't wait for my 1st egg!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

12 weeks is a month or even two months too early, of course. 18 weeks on the leghorns and 22 weeks on other common breeds, on average.

As long as they don't sleep/poop in the nest boxes, there's no harm. Keep an eye on that.

3. Geckochick

Geckochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I am right there with you. We are coming up to egg date soon (end of Oct/beginning of Nov) and I am so excited. Our nesting boxes are closed, but I want to open them!!! [​IMG] DH said maybe this weekend I can... he is so strict.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am right there with you. We are coming up to egg date soon (end of Oct/beginning of Nov) and I am so excited. Our nesting boxes are closed, but I want to open them!!! DH said maybe this weekend I can... he is so strict.

Mabye the hens will help DH to lighten up--the girls do what they want and when they want! ANd are great fun to watch and feed scratch. Hope your DH does enjoy the girls!​

5. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Opened my nest boxes up this week also. My oldest (a white leghorn) is 18 weeks so I am hoping they will start soon. Unfortunately combs aren't reddening up yet so I think I still have some time to wait. I don't know their exact age so I might be wrong. Age is based on email from the person I got them from saying they were 8 weeks old at the time I was getting them. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!! [​IMG]:D

6. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Patience, kids! [​IMG]

7. Geckochick

Geckochick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Quote:Mabye the hens will help DH to lighten up--the girls do what they want and when they want! ANd are great fun to watch and feed scratch. Hope your DH does enjoy the girls!

LOL He actually is very laid back, but he has chicken "rules" in his head.... He worked a chicken farm when he was young, and I keep telling him that our chickens are different. It's a new chicken era. [​IMG] I am pretty sure he is just teasing me, as truly the chickens are mine -- he harped on wanting them for years, I relented, and now, guess who loves the chickens and does all the chicken care? Uh, huh.... me. [​IMG] Silly chickens stole my heart.

8. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    You mean they cant lay eggs in the same boxes they sleep in??????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicken don't normally sleep in boxes. The sleep on roosting bars. Chicken poop a HUGE amount while they sleep.

None of this is particularly appropriate to a clean laying box.

10. kimisfishing

kimisfishing Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Branson Missouri
    Then I built the coop all wrong......hubby is going to kill me LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by