1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know its early but its fun to guess. Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dragonmorgan, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I have 17 chicks. 13 are 2 weeks old and 4 are only about a week. Ive been lookin at my 2 week olds and Ive started to notice the combs that some of them are gettin. I know its not a definate way to sex them this young but its fun to guess. Here are some pics of my chicks with the biggest combs. I also have 2 golden comets with combs but Im pretty sure those are girls and thats proof to me that comb sexing isnt 100% accurate. Anyway heres 2 of my 3 BOs, 3 of my 4 Buff Brahmas, and one mystery chick. I thought it was a easter egger, then thought it was a male golden comet and now Im back to it bein a mystery because of its pea comb lol. The comb pictures were tough to get because they dont just sit pretty for pics anymore lol

BO#1 tail feathers
    [​IMG]

Comb
    [​IMG]

BO#2 tail feathers
    [​IMG]

comb
    [​IMG]

Brahama #1 tail feathers
    [​IMG]

comb
    [​IMG]

Brahama #2 tail feathers
    [​IMG]

comb
    [​IMG]

Brahma #3 tail feathers
    [​IMG]

comb
    [​IMG]

Mystery chick tail feathers
    [​IMG]

comb
    [​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] I can't tell. Crossing my fingers that you end up with lots of girls though! [​IMG] no idea what the mystery chick is either, but I agree it doesn't look like an EE...but that pea comb has me wonderin' what it could be!

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

where did u get them?? the only one i could say could be a roo based on comb size is the buff orp. But it is early and i could be wrong

4. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I got them from our feed store. The mystery chick was in the bin marked EEs and golden comets. The comets supposedly had pink marks on their heads to seperate them from the EEs. This one didnt have a mark but looks nothing like my other EEs and the pea comb rules outcomes so im stuck waitin. Lol

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i has a pea comb so i say its an EE lol but it could be one of thos free mystery chicks hatchery through in

6. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Possibly. I got 2 of them lol. Their legs are reg chicken leg color but the other 3 EEs I have dont have really dark colored legs either. Itd be awsome if they are EEs tho because I love colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by