I know it's hopeless..right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChaseAndDreamer, Jun 2, 2016.

1. ChaseAndDreamer

ChaseAndDreamer Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2016
    So here is the story

We have been hoping our brooding hen would give us some chicks, she tried sitting on one nest and at some point she quit I don't know because I didn't look trying not to desturp her, but she was sitting on a second nest. So we where just waiting for her to bring out the chicks.

My sister went to give the chickens some grits last night from that morning we forgot to take out. She heard something in the hen house and the chickens where throwing fits and screaming. She then came in and told mom, she told my older brother (16) (dad wasnt home yet) to get a weapon and a light and go check it out.(a weapon just in case it was a fox or raccoon).

He went in after scanning the area and there where eggs on the ground.He carefully opened it,backed up and took a look inside. There was a BIG snake, 5 1/2 feet long eating away the eggs that we weren't getting so the hen would keep brooding. The hen stayed between her eggs and the snake while the other chickens went up on the roost watching.

My brother removed the snake and my mom told me to go and get all the eggs that where left. I went to go get them and she was still sitting on her nest, so I went and told her. She said to get the other eggs and put them in a homemade incubator, I told her that the light broke (which may or may not be my fault) and she found another one. This light was made to not give off heat so I had to get the heat lamp, but that would get to hot fast. So I threw something together in and old fishtank and put the light and a small fan on low (to lower the humidity that was at 90) and put the eggs in there because my mom said it couldn't wait.

When they first went in it was 70 degrees and humidity was at 90%.
    I checked 20 minitems later and it was at 90 degrees and humidity was 58%.
    And I haven't checked this morning

Do you think they might hatch if they are still alive? I could candle them and see as long as I know how to tell.

Thank you
    ChaseAndDreamer

P.s one egg I got was because it she'll was all off but the bottom and the clear like thing that raps around them in the egg was torn and the chick was dead.(it smelled awful) It was actually twin chick's and they where fully feather and ready to hatch in another day or so.

Update one 8:35 temp 99 humidity 37 (I put a glass of water in it)

Update two 10:20 temp 97 humidity 40

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow! Glad you found the snake and got it out and no one was hurt except for the eggs. :(
    Why can't you leave the eggs with the mom? Are the eggs all at different stages of development? Have you candled eggs before? I would candle them and try to guess on what day of development they are on.
    [​IMG]
    Just try to keep the temp 99-101. :fl

3. ChaseAndDreamer

May 25, 2016
    Thanks well the temp was just at 108 so I moved them to a slight cooler spot. The eggs are at slightly different stages and we did leave the mom her eggs. (The ones in her nest that she was just laying on) and mom wanted me to take all the other ones, that she wasn't sitting on.if they where under her or around 3 inches of her we left them there for her.

So far I only checked 5 eggs that we took and 3 of them didn't have any light come through what so ever and the other two did. (First time candlling (sp?) eggs.)

Oh and another snake was in there this morning, and chased the mom away but after dad got the snake out she went right back in on her babbies (still eggs)

Can we use any light? Thank you

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    did ya'll kill the snake ?

5. ChaseAndDreamer

May 25, 2016
    Yes both

6. ChaseAndDreamer

May 25, 2016
    How can you tell if the chick's are still alive in the egg?

7. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I don't know but maybe you can do a search on here and see if you can find out.

8. ChaseAndDreamer

May 25, 2016
    I'll look and see thank you

9. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It depends on what stage of development they are in. What color are the eggs? You will see veins under the air cell and hopefully movement but it can be harder to see movement the further along they are.

10. RubyNala97

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I could be wrong but I think a temp spike of 108 could kill them. What color are the eggs. The best light to use is a small, LED flashlight. You hold it over the fatter end and move it around at an angle. It's gonna take some practice. But she might not have even sat on these eggs, right? They were just in the coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by