1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I know its hot, but......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by team guava pastry, Aug 14, 2010.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Songster

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    I woke up this morning to let our girls out and noticed that our buff hen wasn't looking so good. Its been in the upper 90s here in Mia. and she really didin't want to eat like usual.
    The other girls ran out and started eating like normal.
    So I watched the buff and so just walked over to the shade and sat down. I went inside and got some bread and called her she slowly walked out and ate a few bites and went and sat back down.
    Yesterday she was fine.
    Whats up and any suggestions??

2. Lorije1

Lorije1 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    I am in NW Fl and a couple weeks ago our heat index was 116. I took the lid off of a big rubbermaid tote, laid it in the run and put water in it for a "wading pool". I also wet the run as that packed dirt holds and radiates heat. You can offer her yogurt (with eggs if you are concerned about her eating) , cool / cold fruit (mine won't eat frozen fruit). If at all possible you can run a fan for them as well.

ETA: maybe the bump will bring in someone who knows more... I would think though that electrolytes in their water would be good as well... maybe some gatorade or such?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get her under a sprinkler... .she needs COOL water.

4. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Songster

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    thanks not sure what the heat index was but for me it was extremely hot. They spent most of the day under the boats and sitting in the dirt.

She finally got up and ate and drank some water. She even came over to eat some bread I took out for them.

She did lay an egg but not in the nest box and perhaps it was the heat. She was the first one in the coop tonight.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: