I know its probably too early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by charlotteda, Jan 17, 2009.

1. charlotteda

charlotteda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    Since it was the weekend... I "tried" to candle my blue/barred rock eggs and I coudl tell anything for sure... it is only day 5.. is it too early to be concerned ?

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I would say day 5 is too early. Even if something looks clear, there may be something happening.
    Day 10 is a good day to judge. I have done day 7, but I feel more confident on day 10 to start eliminating eggs. And then I still leave questionables until day 18 when I move them to the hatcher, unless I smell something horrible, and then I check again.

Patience, my dear [​IMG] I know...easier said than done, lol

Good Luck!
    Christina

3. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi,

Dont make the same " opps! " that I did!!!!! Wait until they are about 7- 10 days old b4 u candle ' em!!! I lost all of my chicks to too much candling and workers bumping mi incubator! Give them time, they are only teeny tiny babies.

Fresh Eggs,

PS, Trust me, I understand your impatience! I could hardly wait 3 weeks for naught!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. charlotteda

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    I was proud of myself because I hadnt opened the incubator even once since I put them in (auto turner). I'll leave them alone until next weekend and that will be about day 12.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:not only too early to be concerned, but too early to be candling.. after day 10 is plenty early.. eggs are very fragile at this early stage..

why do people candle?? to see if the eggs are not going to hatch.

you have a better idea of that after 14 days..

anytime before this is purely curiosity and serves no real purpose.. your eggs are not going to explode before day 14..
    so you do not HAVE to remove them.

strictly my opinion..

6. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Okay, I'm not saying that everyone should do this, BUT I got my hatching eggs as a Christmas surprise for my 2 little girls and REALLY REALLY wanted to know if any of them were developing before I told them about it.

Candled on Christmas Eve, which was only day 4, and saw DEFINITE development on 10 outta 12 of them!! All light colored eggs, and I was SUPER gentle about it... they are particularly delicate at this stage... and did NOT discard the 2 that looked "clear" (although they STAYED clear, so discarded around day 10). Looked like little red "spiders" at that stage, just some veins with a darker red "spot" in the middle.

I also candled fairly frequently afterwards so my girls could witness the embryo development, was INCREDIBLE for them (and me!) to see. Mixed reviews on this: some say fine to candle frequently if quick/gentle, others say are risking a decreased hatch rate.

Final numbers for my first hatch attempt: 12 eggs, 2 "clears", 1 arrested development around day 15, and 9 hatched and are doing very well.

I am personally very satisfied with the outcome. [​IMG]

Good luck!!

7. charlotteda

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    Thanks all... I'm usually pretty good about leaving things alone but since these eggs were shipped and its been years since I hatched any... I couldnt wait [​IMG]

These are barred rock eggs so they are not white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by