I know normal chickens can handle the cold... but whatabout....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by teenchik, Jan 12, 2011.

1. teenchik

teenchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    I have been told that silkies and frizzles should be brought in when it gets really cold. The frizzles are about 12 weeks old, and the silkies are about 7 weeks old.

They have a little coop outside but with as young as they are I didn't know if they should come in tonight with temps dropping 20 or lower. I will say that the adult silkie she wants nothing to do with any of the babies and would not care if they died.. She defiantly has the mean big sister thing going on toward them. I would not feel comfortable with her being the one to help keep them warm..

Let me know what ya'll think

Christal

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't treat them any different. They get to shiver their bums off with the rest of them when it goes into the teens. No issues with that yet, but I've only had silkies for about a decade.

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    So you think the frizzles will be ok too? I've been told they don't retain heat because of the feathers curling away from the body

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    So you think the frizzles will be ok too? I've been told they don't retain heat because of the feathers curling away from the body

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree with this. Our low tonight is supposed to be around 14 (it was 17 last night) and the two silkies are out in the coop with the rest of the birds.
    I do have one speckled sussex that always sleeps by herself, not on the roost with the other layers, so tonight I did move her over to the top of a crate where the silkies sleep. I figured all three would benefit from being close together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by