1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know nothing about chickens but I have one that is weak and lethargic. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feebee0311, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Feebee0311

Feebee0311 New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    This is my sister's chicken and the poor chicken is weak. She is drinking water but she can't stand on her two feet really. We adopted them (two chickens) last year and have tried our best to learn as much as we can about them. Right now, I wish we could have learned so much more but I don't know where to start. What is the best thing to do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you give a few more details about the chicken's age, if she is eating , having diarrhea, been laying eggs, what she is eating, if she has been wormed lately, and can she stand and walk if you lift her up to stand? Check her for mites and lice on her skin especially near her vent and under wings. Check inside her vent 1-2 inches with a rubber glove for a stuck egg. Offer her some scrambled egg, and if you have some buttermilk, give her a small amount on some bread crumbs. Check her crop to make sure it is emptying, and not impacted. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer and Valbazen are very good wormers.

3. Feebee0311

Feebee0311 New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    Hello there!
    We stayed up with her and realized she was egg bound. After a couple of hours she laid the egg but 6 hours later is still in her lethargic condition. :( She takes very few pecks at her food but we are worried still. What can we do at this point?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would mix some electrolytes, or get some SaveAChick vitamin/electrolytes or Pedialyte, and try to dip her beak into them or give them with a dropper or syringe as much as possible. If she is eating, mix some with her feed. Dehydration can sometimes cause egg binding, and she may need fluids. I hope she starts to do better. I would worm her when she is taking fluid and food. Here is a recipe for electrolytes:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute* (potassium)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water

5. Feebee0311

Feebee0311 New Egg

Feb 20, 2015
    Thank you! She is taking a few bites every 40 min like around 2-3 pecks. I will be going her Pedialyte very soon. Feeling tired today as we've stayed up most of the night but this girl (her name is Rica) is special to us. She is a black bantam chicken with a beautiful green hue to her feathers. Hate to see her sick. :( thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by