1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i know nothing about ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by charbel, May 16, 2011.

1. charbel

charbel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    hey all today my first duck is hatching i never incubated ducks before i would like to know some info about them i know that ducks need water i am asking if a bath tub is enough for a duck to swim in and i like to know when should i put the duck in water (after how many days after hatching) thx all for any help

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    A tub will be fine for the first month or so, after that they will be kinda big. You could probably put the duckling in some warm water as soon as 4-5 days old. BUT it needs to be closely supervised and in the water for only about 5-10 minutes. After that you need to dry it off and put it back under the brooder lamp to get warm again. Hope that helps you out in some way.

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, ducks do need water deep enough to dunk their heads in, so they can clean their nostrils out, and they do need fresh water for drinking. Swimming water is a huge plus for ducks, but is technically not NEEDED. I provide a small stock tank and kiddie pool for my ducks, and it is fine. They certainly can swim in bathtubs as well, especially when younger.

Some important things to say though, a duckling should never be allowed access to swimming water or the tub unattended. They tire easily and can drown, or catch a chill. My ducklings are 3 weeks old and they only tolerate the tub for about 10-15 minutes with me right there, before they are cold and tuckered. Then I towel dry them and put them back under their heat lamp in their brooder.

You should also make sure their drinking water is either partially covered, or not deep enough for them to accidentally drown in.

I am not sure on what age they can swim first, but I usually allow them in at around a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by