I know roosters crow alot but REALLY??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdywntr, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have never had a roo before. So now, my 8 month old BO roo has finally come into his own and is crowing alot. I don't mind it, I can't hear it from inside the house if he's in the coop but....

I got a baby monitor on the suggestion of a local and I turn it on at night to monitor the coop and any unusual activity/noise. Works well.

Recently, I have been woken in the morning by a cock-a-doodle-doo. This has been as early as 4:30 AM. I am central time so it starts getting light at maybe 530 but 430 REALLY????

My concern is that there could be a real reason for this pre-dawn wake up. Or is this a roo being a roo?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's a cockerel enjoying his newly arriving adulthood.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    He will continue to do so until day lengths increase, then crowing can be noted at any time during night. Problem with crowing and baby monitor is that it will desensitize you making more likely you will sleep through distress calls that sound nothing like crowing. Predator proof roosting arrangements.

4. pollitaroja

pollitaroja Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Tampa, Florida
    i had roos crowing at 3.00 am disturbing everybody. Except me, I work nights.LOL.They crow at car noises, lights turning on and off. Predators around or a person also. They are noicey
    I wish I could keep one in my chicken coop but Tampa laws only accept hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by