I know she's a mix but anyone want to guess what's in that mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VA Lady, Sep 1, 2010.

1. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    This is Roxie and she's just laid her first two eggs, two days in row. I picked her out of a cage with a bunch of different birds mixed together at a chicken swap and I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what she might be a mix of (just curious!)? Two of our other birds came from the same cage but I made a point of having everyone look very different from each other so they are different from her. I'll post their pics too though just in case that might give some insight into what she might be. The other two are a rooster who appears to be a black sex link and a hen who looks like she has a little EE.

Roxie (whose favorite things are flying and eating grapes!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the other two - first Sasha (the one who may have some EE) and then the rooster, Claude, who looks like a black sex link:

Sasha:

[​IMG]

Claude (Originally Maude before he revealed himself!):

[​IMG]

2. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I don't know what she is other than a fine looking pullet! Maybe some barred rock???

I love it when a Maude goes to a Claude. I had an Andy turn into an Annie. She is a long tailed leghorn and that threw us for a while [​IMG]

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    What?? No-one else wants to guess this one?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm going to say a game hen mix. She's got the build of a game hen. She's so beautiful!

5. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    It's funny but every day she looks more and more "regular" hen-like (I think it's that's she's filling out more). She's really good at flying too - this is her in a tree:

[​IMG]

Also, I don't know if a photo of her when she was a baby would help - here is a before and after pic I did of her:

[​IMG]

6. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    I have a multi-colored Java mix who looks just like her from the wings forward, but mine is a bit darker....from the wing back, yours has the color of my Easter Egger?

Just guessing, but a very nice looking bird!

Are you sure about the black sex-linked rooster.....I have 4 black sex-linked hens and three different types of Rooster and was wondering what a male chick might look. He has some barred rock looks and some wyandotte looks?

7. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    She's beautiful, but I don't have a clue, what color egg did she lay? Sasha however, I'm going with an EE, ('cause of the leg color) Golden Comet mix and Claude maybe has some Delaware in him.

8. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    This is her egg, it's a very pale tan color:

[​IMG]

I'm definitely not sure about anything with them - they could really be anything at all... I guessed Black Sex Link with Claude because I've seen a couple photos of those roosters that looked like the direction he's going... This is one of the photos I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

9. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I'm pretty sure that Roo is not a black sex link. I have 1 at home, he is black, all black w/ a bleach blonde head, his name is Spike.

10. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Well I went home and took a few new photos as I think Roxie has really changed a lot over even just the past week. Maude/Claude too. So here are the new pics - these birds could be a mix of anything! [​IMG]

Maude:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roxie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by