I know Silkies gender is near impossible (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 17roses, Dec 17, 2009.

1. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    But I would love some educated guesses! None are crowing or laying eggs. I dont know exactly when I got them but I am pretty sure it was in the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 8 of them and honestly cant tell most of them apart. I am just hoping I have at least 1 rooster and at least 2 to 3 hens. [​IMG] Obviosly these are pet quality.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I'd say your black one is a hen. ...after that I defer to someone else. (the rest look rooster-ish to me)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    looks that way to me as well, black hen and a pile of cockerels

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    1st photo: White Cockerel

2nd photo: White Cockerel and I can't see the other well enough.

3rd photo: Black Hen

4th Photo: White Cockerel and I can't see the other well enough

5th Photo: Partridge Cockerel or Black with gold fleck Cockerel

6th Photo: I can't see the face

5. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Is this a good enough pic for a guess? Oh I hope it is a hen [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    kind of looks that way, but pic needs to be closer up to the crest head and face to tell for sure

7. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I have to say, I am brooding some older silkie chicks in the shop right now, and the little boogers are already crowing. I know for sure I have a cuckoo showgirl that is a roo (he has mottled pink and black skin, and his comb is definitely reddish although still small and correct), and the rest are hard to tell although I have my suspicions. The things I have used to tell cockerels apart from pullets in the past have been (from most to least obvious):
    1) crowing
    2) streamers in the crest
    3) streamers/small hard feathers in tail (although hard feathering can also be just poor feathering in a pullet???)
    4) posture
    5) flying at each other (although I have seen young pullets behave this way as well)

Silkies are tough to sex sometimes. Luckily mine like to vocalize (and I do love the sound of a rooster crowing).. so if I can catch them in the act I can tell who is who.

I'm sure those with more experience can explain the differences more aptly and also provide additional pointers on sexing them.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For photos to tell, you need a clear profile that shows the crest and hackle areas clearly, a clear closeup that shows the face, crest pulled back if necessary to see comb. A shot taken level with the bird so that typiness shows. The photos need to be in focus and not so dark that details cannot be determined. The only time the camera should be looking down at the bird, versus level, is when you are trying to photograph the back of the bird, which can be useful useful in looking at feather patterns.

I cannot tell the gender for certain from any of the photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by