i know the answer is "me"... but please help...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by boogiesnap, Aug 4, 2014.

1. boogiesnap

boogiesnap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    hi guys, i had 5 birds. had. :(

last night they decided to hop way up in a tree and roost. they were a good 20 feet up. i considered them pretty safe, as i don't see foxes, racoons, etc. aruond my property and it is well fenced also.

turns out that was quite a mistake.

something killed my leghorn and black copper maran. it mangled a rooster(i think a welsummer), and a silver laced wyandotte.

as i have said in other posts, i'm heartbroken. the BCM was my buddy.

now, on to my question. what did this???

they were not eaten, no head, torso, comb, nothing. just killed. what could have, would have gotten so high up in the tree and just killed for sport?

any thoughts would be appreciated, although of course, i won't be leaving any chickens out of the run anymore during the night.

thanks guys.

2. texaschickyall

texaschickyall Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    I've had possums and raccoons both get some of my flock from trees at night. They can die of shock and have no outward injury.

3. boogiesnap

Aug 4, 2014
    Hi, Thank you, I should have been more clear. They were mauled. Feathers everywhere where their bodies lay, but not eaten.
    I do fear Gracie will die of shock. She looks so lost.

4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    CATS! The only animal besides Humans that kills for sport.

5. CelestialChicks

CelestialChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    I'm not sure what it was..Sometimes cats can kill just for the sake of... yeah killing. But don't beat yourself up over this too much. They assumably lived a very happy loving life and predators for free-range chickens are almost inevitable. But hopefully the rest of your birds will stay safe and sound.

Good luck :)

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I say raccoon...they'll kill just for the thrill of it. So sorry for your losses...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. boogiesnap

Aug 4, 2014
    thanks, we've been here almost 10 years, never seen a coon.

i guess cat too, but there was no blood from claws or teeth. it's the darndest thing. and the tree they were in was a hemlock, not much branch support for a cat to climb 20 feet up.

and what animal chases down two birds, kills them, pulls out all their feathers, then attacks two more birds, and disappears, leaving the bodies intact?

i guess now that i write it out....sounds like a cat.

8. boogiesnap

Aug 4, 2014
    i don't know i want the answer to this, but another thought comes to mind....

i had introduced the 5th bird just the day before. it had been docile and getting along well with the girls for 2 days. they all slept inside the coop together with no problems the night before.

is it possible this bird decided to kill the others thus explaining the no eating?

it would seem odd though, because it happened dead of night.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chickens nap at night; you had a tree climbing predator. Such a sad story, and I'm sure it won't happen again with your flock. Raccoons and possums are the likeliest culprits; lock up the birds at night, live trap, and shoot those varmits. They will be back!!! A raccoon family could easily do what you've described here. So sorry, Mary

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Cats seldom kill adult chickens. Owls will knock them out of the trees also at night. I have a few that want to roost up in the trees but I make them get down and into the coop. I live in fear of this happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by