I know the genders, but not the breed(s)...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ThracianHorse, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ThracianHorse

ThracianHorse New Egg

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey there -

I was given this pretty pair of birds by a friend, and I am having a devil of a time figuring out what they are.

What I do know is they they are a matched pair, a rooster and a hen. I also know they have a lot of characteristics of silkies - the hen has 5 toes on each foot, the rooster has six, they have black skin, and they seem to behave like silkies (they have that calm, sweet disposition I have come to know and love). I am suspecting that they are a cross of some sort, but I would love to know what exactly the cross is that could produce such handsomely marked birds. So, there are pictures of the pair, the rooster, and the roosters foot to show off the six toes in that order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

~TH

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They are a mixed breed. Polish/Cochin or Silkie Cochin mix. I'm thinking silkie cochin. I bet they are brother and sister. Beautiful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would have to say that they are a cross of a silkie and a gold laced cochin. They are very pretty. The amount of fluff on the behinds and especially their feet shows that both parents had feathered feet, which rules out polish. Otherwise I would have said polish because of the coloring. I do have some silkie cochin crosses and I love them. They are very excellent mothers and wonderful birds.

4. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Beautiful Birds I say....[​IMG]

5. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I saw a picture of a bird on the front of a poultry magazine that looks just like them. I'll have to go dig it up.

6. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Quote:X2

They're very pretty. I like their patterns, they closely resemble Partridge.

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by