1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know there's a section on prepping your coop for the cold, but...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PopVultureATX, Nov 3, 2011.

1. PopVultureATX

PopVultureATX Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    I have a quick fix question. I live in Austin and we're about to get a big cold snap tomorrow, just for a night. I think it might get down to 36 at the lowest. I know this is above freezing, but is there anything special I should do? I wasn't expecting this, and being such short notice at all, I was wondering if I'll be ok just operating as normal. I have three full grown hens - one RIR, one Buff Orp, and one Barred Rock.

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I wouldn't worry as long as there are no drafts. It was 16 here this morning and my chickens are in an uninsulated unheated coop and did just fine.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    They should be just fine! [​IMG] Our coop is uninsulated and unheated too, and they even keep laying right up until the snow stays on the ground. [​IMG]

5. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    There's been lots of research on open air coops, and chickens do just fine in them. As long as they have protection from the elements, like a tarp or house or something, the cold shouldn't bother them. You don't want to lock it all up tight because there needs to be air flow to get that stagnant air out of there. My girls will have nothing special this winter... just their coop and run like normal. You should be fine. [​IMG]

ETA: My husband, the handy man and former professional insulator, said that we would not be insulating our coop. Since there is no main heat source inside our coop (besides the birds), insulating it would make it colder inside. Insulation only works when there is a heat source... it then helps to hold the heat in. But having no heat source means that it will also hold the cold in. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Fret not. All will be well with your birds come morning [​IMG]

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    We have been down in the single digits and trapped the run, and the coop is insulated. My girls do fine.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Yup, as long as they have a dry, draft free place to roost, they'll be fine.

We're up in North Texas and getting a similar cold snap. We have a flock of tiny bantams and they're molting right now. Some of the hens even have bare spots.

Because they're pets, and because we do have facilities indoors in our bird room....well, we brought them indoors tonight because the temperature is dropping so suddenly. If they weren't molting, I wouldn't even consider doing this, and I know they don't really need it.

Last winter they handled the week of below freezing temps just fine. I did put an oil filled radiator inside the coop and turned it on at night, but I watched them during the day in the run and they hardly seemed to notice the cold. Of course, they had all their feathers then!

9. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I live in Austin too and will not be taking any precautions. They did just fine last winter when it got REAL cold. Now, my chicks are in the garage with heat source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by