I know theres no such thing as a pink egg, but....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blueicebird, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    This must be pretty darn close!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure who its from. It's either a Tetra Tint or my Rhode Island Barred Rock. I don't think my Ameruicana is Laying yet and my silkie should'nt be laying pink.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are a bunch of genes that go into determining what color an egg will be. How those genes mix and match can sometimes surprise people, even with pure breeds and it sounds like you could have some crosses. I have had mutts lay some pretty pink eggs before.

3. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I'll get some similar to that from my barred rock girls - they look funny next to the more 'normal' browner eggs. [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:I agree wholeheartedly. also, where did your ameraucana come from? If from a hatchery or feed store, it's probably an Easter Egger as opposed to a purebred Ameraucana. And Easter Eggers do commonly lay pink eggs.

5. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have a mixed breed hen that lays pink large eggs. She is a mutt.

6. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    My Ameriucana is prolly an EE cuz she and the Tetras came form a lady who bought them at TSC. My Barred rocks are crossed with Rhode Island Reds and my Silkie came from TSC so I bet shes a cross [​IMG] All of my are mutts. lol

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
  8. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    My Light Brahma (LuLu) lays light pink/light dusty rose colored eggs and while her eggs are supposed to be one of the largest among hens.....her eggs are smaller than my Black Sex Link's eggs and are only slightly larger than my RIR's and NHR's eggs.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No such thing as pink eggs? Guess I better go tell my brahma girls. Some of them lay the prettiest pink eggs, always have.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:How old is she? My brahmas are three and a half years old. Most now lay an average, large egg. A few lay eggs so round (but not overly long) that they don't sit well in the average large egg carton.
    Keep in mind that brahmas continue to develop and mature until they reach the age of 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by