i know these are colombian cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cochingal, Dec 13, 2013.

1. cochingal

cochingal New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    I bought these and seen the parents of these birds but I was wondering is when do the hens loose the spotting on them is it after they moult ? thanks for any info[​IMG]
    they are about 3 months of age

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I don't think your bird's colors are going to change substantially. I think they're just not well-colored Colombian. My experience is the dark color increases, if anything.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

4. cochingal

cochingal New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    so should I get different birds are can they produce decent color chicks ? I do love them and have grown so fond of them this makes me sad that there coloring is not good

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Most of that coloring is probably there to stay, though it may change a little after they molt. Dark feathers on the back are relatively common in Columbian birds; it is just a somewhat rare and difficult color variety to perfect. Its difficult to say whether they will produce good chicks, as breeding can be complicated. Sometimes, you can cross two great birds together and get lesser quality offspring, and other times you can cross two average birds together and get superior offspring. The only way to know is to try it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by