1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know they are red chickens. That's about it!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Red Barn Farms, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    These two chickens are around 12-14 weeks of age. They were bought from an Amish family and we were told they are Buckeyes. I'm not so sure so what is your opinion. Also note the one with the bigger wattles and comb. Think it might be a cockerel? It acts more like a pullet and I've never heard a crow from it or seen male body language. So, what's your opinion on these two? They are very vocal chickens which make the prettiest trilling sounds at roost time, though they can be rather skittish. Thanks in advance.

Here they are having a cabbage snack.

[​IMG]

Definitely a pullet.

[​IMG]

Cockerel? but acts like a pullet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They may just be production reds. I'm very undecided on these two.

1 person likes this.
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I thought buckeyes don't have straight combs?
    I think they just look like generic/production reds. I think they're both pullets, the one will give you eggs first. A cockerel at this age is usually pretty easy to spot.
    Okay, looking back at the second bird, I'm just not sure. Some of that tail looks roo-ish. Maybe post again in 3 weeks or so?

3. Red Barn Farms

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Yes, the straight comb made me decide they were not buckeyes unless there are crossed. No clue. My buckeyes have pea combs. I only have two of them so like you say time will tell with the larger comb chicken. Thanks for your reply, Much appreciated!

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Buckeyes have Pea combs, these guys have single combs. They look like Production Reds. I'm a little curious on the 2nd and 3rd ones...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. Red Barn Farms

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hi JerseyGiant, I'm with you 100% on this. They are definitely not buckeyes as I was told when bought as day old baby chicks. I have a few buckeyes all with pea combs, Thanks for your quick reply. Much appreciated.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Beyond the combs, which obviously rule out their their Buckeyes, the colour & type are wrong as well. They're Production Reds.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  7. JakeBremer

JakeBremer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2012
    Quinlan, TX
    They are all pullets. They are not 12-14 weeks. They are about 18 weeks. You are about to get some eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by