1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i know this is a silkie but color and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GAChknGirl, Apr 10, 2012.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like a white Silkie almost (maybe a splash?) Gender almost looks like a pullet.

3. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    How do you know it looks like a pullet? [​IMG]

What are the signs? [​IMG]
    I have one that looks almost identical to that one. [​IMG]

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Well their "comb type" is (Correct me if i'm wrong) crested. And the bigger the crest the more likely it is a rooster. When its moderate it's probably a hen/pullet. Also the comb would be bigger, and the wattles a lot more developed.

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they have walnut combs and the wider the comb the more likely it will be a cockerel. silkies are slow developers so you cant really go by comb and wattle development. best bet is to wait til it crows or lays. the crest can also be used to determine sex pullets will have nice rounded crest while cockerels will have a crest with streamers (feathers that are longer than the rest sticking out from the crest) but thats usally around 5-6 months of age if not later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by