I know this probably sounds stupid!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jess5254, Feb 11, 2012.

1. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I have two female pekins , one blue swedefemale, and a blue swede drake. Will all the eggs possibly be fertile? I was told they only mate in water and probably wont be fertile until I put the big pool back out for them as soon as it warms up enough not to freeze solid. Also will the pekins eggs possible fertile considering the size of my drake compared to them/ Thanks

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    It is highly likely that all of the eggs will be fertile, pool or no pool.

Good luck........

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Water facilitates breeding but generally is not absolutely necessary. Most likely all of the hens are being bred; therefore, their eggs will be fertile. You could always break a few and check for the 'bullseye'.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    [​IMG]

5. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I have cracked a few open but I am not an expert by no means. I think there is a bullseye but not 100% sure. Should I let the eggs sit out a day or so before cracking open and looking or should i be able to see the bullseye after collecting the eggs?. My ducks lay better than my chickens faithfully everyday all the females lay one egg and I collect them in the am.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by