I know this site is littered with similar threads, but...UPDATE NUMBER 2

chanamarie

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
it's Day 21 and still NOTHING

No pips, sounds, or movement (that I've seen).Put them in 3 weeks ago today (late afternoon).

Trying not to freak out and failing.

UPDATE
So as we were candling them and feeling really unsure of what we were supposed to be seeing (cause most of them looked as we were told they should - larger air cell, very dark at the bottom, etc), my mom suddenly pointed to the one I was holding and said 'Wait, is that a hole?!' And I realized I could hear cheeping and it was pipping.

I quickly popped it back in, moistened the sponge (which I think is the cause of the whiffiness), and closed it up. I think maybe because of the time it took for temperature to stabilize and come up (cheap styro incubator), we are a day behind.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Have you candled them? I like to mark air cells on days 7, 14 and 18 to see how well they are progressing.

Are your air cells on track?

Yes, I candled them and most of them looked like the chart (a few didn't). There is now a not fresh smell emanating from the incubator...not sure if it's just a bad egg (a couple didn't look as great as the others) or all bad eggs! Or just that an incubator doesn't smell so fresh???

You might want to take them out one by one and sniff them one by one to see if one is going bad. Candle at the same time, and look for draw-down - where the air cell gets much bigger and pulls down toward the pointy end. Those will be the healthy eggs.

Also, look for movement and signs of internal pipping. The rest of your egg should be almost fully dark by now.

Last edited:
You might want to take them out one by one and sniff them one by one to see if one is going bad. Candle at the same time, and look for draw-down - where the air cell gets much bigger and pulls down toward the pointy end. Those will be the healthy eggs.

Also, look for movement and signs of internal pipping. The rest of your egg should be almost fully dark by now
Ok, thank you. I will do that first thing in the morning (toddler is sleeping in the room with the incubator now). Nervous and preparing for disappointment!

Back
Top Bottom