I know we all love our chickens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by destorieswind, Dec 17, 2008.

1. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I know we all love our chickens...
    but sometimes they can be a pain in the you know what. lol

Like when you make a new roost. and the chickens arent sure where to go. So you pick each one up and put it on the roost. and they all start settling down until one of them gets the grand idea to try and run on the backs of every one and knocks them down. and then you have to repeat the proccess...
    lol.
    chickens are funny.

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Yes, or when you go out and turn on the light in the evening and they all get down from their roosts and eat and drink. Then you try to get them all lined up again and can't.
    OR
    when you go out to close them up for the night and you have one that doesn't want to go in with the rest of the crew. When it's really cold out this is a pain in the rear.
    OR
    when all your barred rocks are old crabs to the silkies and peck them constantly. [​IMG]:he

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If I move their water 3 feet, they can't find it.

I give them a snack at 5. At 2,3,4, o'clock, they are at my patio trying to tell me it's time for the snack

Waiting in line to lay an egg in one nest when there are 3 good nests available.

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    LOL, yes.

Did you know you posted this under the BUY SELL TRADE category?

5. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    oh haha. i thought it was under everything else BUT buy sell and trade. sorry.lol

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I have 7 nice nest boxes. They will only lay in 3 of them. I don't get it. And some of them get into a hissy fit if they can't get into their favorite box.

I'm wondering if I should put a golf ball in every nest so they can think "hey this looks like a good spot"...

Today, two got cracked while being laid because they hit other eggs on the way down. Cooked up an omlet for lunch today.

7. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    When you have nice roosting poles, and the 5 guineas are such meanies that they take up 75% of the space and make the 15 chickens sleep in 25% of the space.
    The guineas run down the roost to peck madly at said chickens, and then run back to "their side", keeping at least 5 feet of "clearance" (wasted roost) between them.

8. I have nest boxes, a tub full of hay and a few other enticing area for the ladies to lay. BUT NO, they all have found a open bag of shavings in the office of the barn and one by one they lay on the top of this.
    Unbelievable.

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Or when you have to navigate the landmine-covered back porch because they've been sitting out there waiting for you to bring them...

...FOOD?
    [​IMG]

eta: please excuse DBF's slovenly appearance - we were working out in the yard & garage that day. Dumpling, our BR, is of the chicken mindset that what's hers is hers and what's yours is hers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    OR when (as happened last night) all of them go to bed in the coop except three silly girls who flew out of the yard and couldn't figure out how to fly back in... so they sat on the stairs, posing as owl/fox/raccoon bait until I came home, on the one night I got home late!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by