I know we've been here before but.....I have a double yolk egg......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vkp23, Nov 13, 2009.

1. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I did a search on how to help double yolk eggs hatch, since I do know that they will almost certainly need help. The posts I found were older and didn't have a whole lot of tips on what to look for or what I should do. I'm on day 7 now with this twin egg and both babies are doing great. Very active. This is one of the first three eggs I got form my first hen laying. All four babies are doing fantastic. Any suggestions on what to look for when it comes time??

2. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    there's a video on you tube....

there's links somewhere here.... within the last few days it was posted again...
    i'll see if i can find it...

here's the link to part 1

you should be able to get to part 2 by looking on the right side or clicking on the poster or something.. my brian is failing fast.. way past bed time.. lol...

good luck!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The thing that bothered me the most was the Rebecca rehomed or sold the both of those famous twins.

But we still love her for taping it!

4. vkp23

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    SHE DID!? I read that whole thread last night and watched her vids. Shame they were cute too. I'm keeping these babies since they are the first.

5. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Exciting! Keep us up dated, please?

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Not to sound like a wet blanket, guys, but it's about 1 in a million chance that a double-yolker will hatch. SOOOOOO many have attempted and failed, it's really never a good idea to try. An egg is meant to have one hatchling; when two develop, the liklihood that either will survive is extremely slim. When they begin to push out, one will push against the other, killing it. Since the other is so soft, the one pushing never gets a good....push, so to speak, and seldom hatches.

Again, not trying to be a wet blanket, but folks...it's just IMO cruel to try to hatch them. Just sayin'.

7. vkp23

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Quote:You may be right. And I probly wont try to hatch any other double yolk eggs. I couldn't even tell that it was a double yolker til I candled and saw two babies. But since they are started I want to give them a chance. I know chances are they wont make it, but as for right now, my three first time laid eggs are doing better than all the shipped eggs I tried to hatch. I got 0 babies from those. I think shipping the eggs really caused some problems with them from x-rays and all. I had only a few even make it past a week. Only go one to hatch and he died 4 days later. So far these have been the fastest most active babies I've seen yet. I contribute that to the fact they came out of my own yard and not from a box. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these guys, though I know that it probly wont end well for the twins.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, going in knowing the chances may make it easier if they don't survive, but it will ALSO give you ideas on what you can do to help when the time comes! GOOD HATCHING VIBES to you, and I hope your double makes it - I truly do! Yes, shipped eggs are always a huge chance to take.

9. vkp23

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Quote:Thank you. And I'll keep it posted. They are over a week along now and doing great. I wanted to buy more shipped eggs but after I had a bad turn with some runner duck eggs and then the lady was kind enough to send more with no extra cost (even though she was not at fault) and then THOSE quit on me after a week, my husband said no more. I agreed. We spent a lot of money on eggs and have nothing to show for it. I did learn a lot from it though. And I have decided not to buy any more hatching eggs unless they are close enough for me to pick them up. Thanks for the support and if any one has tips please let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by