I Let My Guineas Out Today ***UPDATE***

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by dangerouschicken, Aug 5, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I bought them to keep the snake and tick population down. I hope they survive as free rangers. The coyotes out here were LOUD last night. May my guineas roost in many a tall tree.

I have one crippled guinea I just couldn't cull. She has one backwards leg that does not function at all. She drags herself around. I was going to cull her last week, but I have been so sick, and she is such a lovely girl, I have lost my nerve. When I opened the run, the other 3 took off and left her behind. She is hanging out in the garden. Maybe nature will take its course? I feel bad for her. She is lonely, but what can I do? Do I cull her or let her be lonely? What would you do? It is a tough one for me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Let her live with the chickens!

3. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I was thinking of putting her back in with my little chooks. They will tolerate her.

4. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Let her live. She may adapt quite well.

If your guineas have a safe place to roost at night, the coyotes wont have a chance. Mine come back to the coop, fly over the 4ft fence and roost each each night.

Good luck and enjoy. They are quite comical to watch. right now i have one rooster who is exhausting himself by darting back & forth across the yard to keep an eye on two nesting hens. Who of course, couldnt nest close by each other [​IMG]

5. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    That would be funny to watch. [​IMG]

I have two hens and two roos now. Unfortunately it is one of the hens that is crippled. Will the two males now fight over the one viable female?

I actually started with 6 and am now down to 4. I had another crippled one that couldn't get around AT ALL as his feet were bent one way, and his legs another. [​IMG] What happens with guineas that they lose their legs like that? Is it from their piling up on each other? The other crippled one this guy culled for me. The other hen disappeared. She was white and not very smart. I hear that is common in white guineas.

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Build her a little run and put a cute little boy guinea in with her. Enjoy the offspring. That's what I'd do...

Although hopefully the leg isn't hereditary. If it is, I'd treat her like a queen until Thanksgiving, and then she could decorate the table. She'd have a good quality of life.

I vote don't let the coyotes get her, that would be such a waste.

7. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    UPDATE:

DH went to check on the guineas and they all (including the crippled one) were sitting together wanting back in the run. He put them in there, and they won't come out again [​IMG] So much for letting them free range!

I decided to let "Crippy" live. Since I have two males and two females, I'm just going to let them pair off and stay in the run.

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hooray for Ole Pigeon Toes McGuineaHen!

[​IMG]

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:Just wait, it will be no time before they are sitting on the top of your house, surveying their domain and yacking up a storm.

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    We had a "special" guinea with a twisted foot who got along fine, until we got back from a camping trip and she was MIA. They were big enough to fly over the 6 foot chicken run fence, so I am assuming she decided to go out on her own terms. Ah well, thats life on the farm, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by