i let my wife come with me

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bayourouge, Aug 22, 2007.

1. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    we went to pick up some things at the feed store and came home with 4 new muscovies, 2 buff cochins, 2, white polish and 2 more silkies (a white and a buff). we'll post some pics when we can

2. bayourouge

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    took the pics on my cell so they aren't the best quality but here they are

POLISH
    [​IMG]

SILKIES
    [​IMG]

COCHINS
    [​IMG]

ONE OF THE SCOVIES
    [​IMG]

3. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Be forwarned those muscovies are excellent mothers and great broodys they can and do hatch multiple times a year. And the nests are darn hard to fine lol... I know cause I am still looking for two nests...

I probably won't find them. I will just wake up one morning and oh look 12 more babies... I have already given away.... 50 or so ducklings this year alone.

So take care.... oh mine free range...

Arklady

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  4. bayourouge

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    yea we have an adult drake with 3 hens right now. we've given away several this year. we live on a bayou in a very rural area and the neighbors all feed the duck so we're ok with just letting nature take its course. the 4 new ducklings will be kept in a pen for awhile though.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Geeeezzzzzz, all the feed stores around here only sell chicks and ducklings in the spring!!:thun

6. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Oh those are too sweet!!

Yeah, same here standard hen, no chicks at feed stores now.

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Oh how cute!!! Congrats on the new additions. Those baby ducks are so sweet [​IMG]

8. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Arklady and Bayou,
    I have four muscovies. i had to quit freeranging until they get a little older. I lost a couple to raccoons in the middle of the day. Are they good at escaping predators when they get mature? They are already larger than my chickens, but I have never seen them fly. they waddle so slow they seem an easy target. When will this change? Will I be able to free range them out here in the woods?

9. bayourouge

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    well, where i am, they do really well and we have coons, possums, mink, even some feral cats. they can move pretty fast when they need to and i dont know how old yours are but muscovies are good fliers. thanx everyone for the comments.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I dont get it [​IMG] ......why do all you peoples feed stores have critters all the time? Ours order them ONLY in the spring. If you miss out, oh well. I get so jealous that you guys get so lucky and go to the store and come home to post about what you found there. I guess maybe i am lucky too, DH would probably move out if i kept bringing them home [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by